Moogly
Creating Beautiful Things in Life: My German Side

Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

My German Side

Augsburg
Augsburg, Germany
This is my home town, Augsburg. It's located less than 50 miles from Munich. I left Germany in 1978. More than 30 years later, there isn't a lot of German left in me.
I still remember how to cook German food. I am going to share one of our favorite recipes. This salad is a great dish for a BBQ, potluck or as an appetizer for a party. It's a staple in most German restaurants and bars. It's served with a couple of slices of Rye bread and butter. It is also a great companion to beer. I think it's because it helps to metabolize the alcohol. If you know anything about Germany, you know about their beer.
I made this salad for a birthday party recently and it was a big hit. I am still being asked to make it again.
There are several different versions. The poor mans version is called Wurst Salad. It consists of only the Wurst (Baloney) and onions and the brine. My personal favorite is the Swiss Wurst Salad, which is the loaded version.


Swiss Wurst Salad
 Swiss Wurst Salad:

 1 1/2 lbs Baloney
 1 Small brick of Swiss Cheese
 1 large onion
 6 spears of kosher pickles
 1 jar of red pepper
 3 tablespoons white vinegar
 2 tablespoons of Kosher
    pickle juice
 1/2 cup of oil
  Salt and pepper to taste



Cut Baloney into strips, cube the Swiss cheese, dice the pickles and red peppers, cut the onion into thin slices or chop if you prefer. Add vinegar, pickle juice and oil. Mix well to coat. If the dressing tastes a little too tart, add a few tablespoons of water to delude. Season to taste. Chill for at least an hour before serving. I like to make this the night before to give the ingredients a time to marinade overnight.

 
                                   
                                                                                                                                                             

No comments:

Post a Comment